12 Tips To Prepare For Essence Festival
Are you going to Essence Festival next year? If so, now is the time to plan. Yes it's seems far away, but these months will fly by so fast and it will be here before you now it. This year was a huge turn out because of the Girls Trip movie. Next year is their 25th Year Anniversary. They expect to have even more people in attendance. This is a good reason to start planning your trip now.
This year was my first time attending Essence Festival. I had so much fun. The food, the music, the people, and the vendors were all an amazing experience. I wasn't ready to leave NOLA. I plan to attend the Essence Festival again one day. I also can't wait to visit NOLA again to explore more of the city.
When traveling to new places and attending new events, you learn a lot very quickly. To make sure you're ready for your Essence Festival trip, here are SOME TIPS TO HELP YOU GET STARTED.
12 tips to help you preparE FOR ESSENCE FESTIVAL:
- PLAN NOW, NOT LATER! Your hotel, flights, concert tickets, parties, etc. should be planned now and not at the last minute. The earlier, the cheaper. If you wait until the last minute, it will be way more expensive or sold out.
- MAKE A TRAVEL BUDGET! Decide how much you can afford to spend. Stick to that number. When you travel and just swipe swipe swipe without a plan, you'll return home wondering how you spent so much. Overspending on a trip leads to other problems.
- COMFORTABLE IS BETTER THAN CUTE! The good news is there are plenty of ways to be both cute and comfortable. For the ladies, don’t bring heels unless you plan to switch them out for flats throughout the day. There will be entirely too much walking and standing for hours every day for heels. Supportive footwear is a must.
- BRING SOME CASH! Some vendors don’t accept debit or credit cards. Sometimes there isn't an ATM nearby. To avoid dealing with that issue, come with some cash already available. The amount of cash depends on how much your budget will allow you to spend.
- BRING SNACKS! There will be long lines for food everywhere. It sucks to be hungry waiting in an hour long line for food. To help curb your appetite, bring snacks that will satisfy those hunger pains while you wait in those long food lines.
- DRINK WATER! Walking in the heat can cause dehydration. Sometimes we don't even realize we are dehydrated until its too late. Drink plenty of water several days before your trip. Drink water throughout the day every day during the trip.
- BRING A SMALL UMBRELLA! Just in case it rains, you'll want to already have one available. If you wait until you get to the event to purchase one, they will be more expensive.
- BRING A SWEATER! If you're someone who doesn’t like to be cold, bring a sweater for the superdome. Although there were lots of people around, it was still freezing cold in the superdome.
- BRING A PORTABLE PHONE CHARGER! You'll be out and about all day and all night. Sometimes you may not have time to go back to your hotel room to charge your phone. A portable charger will come in handy when your down to your last bit of phone power.
- EXPLORE RESTAURANTS OUTSIDE THE CITY! On the way back to the airport an Uber driver, who was born and raised in NOLA, suggested traveling outside the city to experience some of the mom and pop restaurants instead of waiting in the long lines to eat in the city for every meal. She mentioned there were plenty of options as close as 10 minutes away from downtown NOLA. It will be cheaper and a shorter wait time. Try eating outside the city once or twice.
- WALK OR TAKE THE TROLLEY! Uber and Lyft can add up very quickly. Renting a car is pointless because you'll just be sitting in traffic for long periods of time. The best options for getting around is the Trolley, which cost $3.00 per day, and walking, which is free of course. This is why tip number 3 is so important.
- GET A MASSAGE! You'll need one after that long Essence Festival weekend. Your body will be drained and tired from head to toe. Schedule a massage appointment for when you return home so that you can get your body relaxed and in shape to return back to your normal daily routine.